Tuesday, July 17, 2012

July 17, 2012

I've left this too, too long. Catching up is difficult. However, quilting ideas continue to cause UFOs! I'm currently working on a machine applique wallhanging for a friend's 60th anniversary. My machine finally hit maximum mileage and is now in the repair shop. Luckily, good friends have come to the rescue and I'm learning how to speak Bernina.

Like the rest of the country, we're experiencing an extreme weather situation. Seems like Pittsburgh is trying to imitate the hot and humid weather of New Orleans. Leaving there 21+ years ago, I thought I'd left all that behind! That said, the tomatoes, squash and zucchini keep coming, and tonight I'm going to fix a cool pasta salad:

Ingredients can be increased or omitted

Diced tomatoes 4 small, 2 large
Red and/or green pepper, diced
Yellow squash, small, diced
Zucchini, small, diced
Onion - small, diced
Other vegetables as desired, i.e., fresh or frozen broccoli
Other options: add cooked chicken chunks, cooked shrimp, ham or crisp bacon

Place in salad bowl and marinate in salad dressing for several hours at room temperature
Italian salad dressing, (I use the packets and reverse the amounts of vinegar and water)

Prepare spaghetti, drain and mix with vegetables. Serve while the pasta is still warm.

This keeps well in refrigerator, if there are leftovers

3 comments:

Ellie said...

Sounds yummmmmmy, Grammie! I'll have to give that a try!
xx, Ellie

Anne said...

Which fabrics and color ways are you using for your friends quilt? How big is this quilt? Are you going to post pictures? How do you like the Bernia? I know I have lots of questions. I have had the sewing bug hit recently and want to learn more about garment sewing. Specifically, sewing for myself (adult woman) that is sharp and clean. Zippers are my new interest. I have a feeling that I will be bringing in lots of sample fabrics with zippers. My plan is to bring them to the office so the children with fine motor control have something to practice during therapy.

I am also envious of your garden. I will be trying your recipe this week!
xoxo
Anne

Susan on Bainbridge Island said...

Love this idea Mom! It's fun to learn about your days. I'll try the salad soon- Love Susan